In January, our members enjoyed a wonderful afternoon tea at Sweeney Hall to celebrate Pontesbury WI’s 100th birthday. The tables were decorated with balloons in WI colours of green, white and purple and the beautiful celebration cake, made and decorated by one of our members, was cut by our President and Kathleen Hartshorne, MBE.
Thanks to the Shropshire Federation WI for arranging another great night out at Monmore Green.The greyhound races and three course meal were enjoyed by members and friends from many WIs in Shropshire. Joining in events with SFWI is a good way to socialise with members from other groups and all who went thoroughly enjoyed it.
Catherine Trimby from the Independant Monitoring Board was the speaker at the February meeting. Unpaid Board members visit prisons to monitor the day to day life of inmates and staff, and aim to ensure proper standards of care are maintained. Prisoners have access to Board members and, if issues cannot be resolved through prison channels, they can be taken up with the Board. Catherine has been involved with the Board at Drake Hall women’s prison and gave us an often very moving account of the lives the women had experienced before offending. The more enlightened rehabilitation methods and education at Drake Hall allow many of the women an opportunity to make a better life for themselves after release. There is even a WI at Drake Hall. Next month’s meeting is 12 March when the speaker will be Phil Smith from Wollerton Old Hall Garden. We meet on the second Monday of the month at Pontesbury Public Hall at 2:00. Visitors are always warmly welcome. If you would like to come along please ring Sue Brookes on 01743 790610.
Search the site
- Community Library at Pontesbury: March 2018
- Great Music coming to Habberley
- Pontesbury Annual Parish Meeting
- Pontesbury Parish Council Report: February 2018
- Pontesbury Compassionate Communities (COCO) – Befriending Service
- (no title)
- Summer Fête with Classic Cars
- Pontesbury Sports Association “200 Club”: February 2018
- Singing Group: Thursdays @ Pontesbury Baptist
- Lambing course 24 March, 10:00 – 4:00 Brynmawr Farm SY7 8QU
- Pontesbury WI: March 2018
Council Minutes Archive
Planning Committee Archive